A personal loan is the most attractive option to consider if you are in urgent need of liquidity and fast. These loans are very flexible, as they can be used for anything; i.e., the bank does not provide you this loan for a specific purpose, you are free to use it as you see fit. These loans are made to salaried employees as well as self-employed people.
Who are self-employed individuals?
Self-employed individuals are the sole proprietors of their business. They do not draw a fixed monthly salary, but are the owners of their unincorporated businesses. Since these individuals do not draw a fixed monthly salary, some might think that self-employed people find it hard to get personal loans. But, this is not true.
Eligibility criteria for personal loans for self-employed individuals:
1. Credit history: Banks will approve personal loans to self-employed people only if they have a good credit score. Since they do not have a regular source of income, their credit score is the only indication of their credit-repayment behaviour. However, private lenders are more lenient and offer personal loans even to people with poor credit history.
2. Income: For you to be eligible to apply for a personal loan, you need to have a certain minimum monthly income. Banks have different minimum income expectations, but you need to be earning at least Rs. 25 000 a month if you want to be eligible for a personal loan from a bank.
3. Age: You should be at least 21 years old. Age criteria differ from bank to bank. For example, a leading private bank stipulates that a self-employed individual has to be at least 28 years old to apply for a personal loan from that bank.
4. Business stability: This is another important checkpoint that banks consider before approving the loan application of a self-employed person. You should be in your current business for at least the past two years and counting if you want to apply for a personal loan. Even about this, different banks have different criteria; for example, a leading private bank mandates that you need to be in business for at least five years.
5. Association with the bank: If you are a self-employed individual applying for a personal loan through a bank, then you have to be the account holder of this bank for at least a year before you can apply for a personal loan.
Personal loans are a great way to take care of immediate liquidity needs. They are easy to avail and require less documentation. While personal loans attract higher interest rates, because of their flexible nature, they are a leading choice of every self-employed individual who needs some quick cash.
Disclaimer: Copyright Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.
You have already rated this article
Leave a Comment
Comment sent to Admin for review.
Comment was not posted due to some error
If you are salaried individual and find yourself faced with an urgent liquidity need ...
Save yourself from a ‘vicious’ loan cycle or getting your loans disapproved
Many people in their 50s in need of a personal loan ...
By clicking on the hyper-link, you will be leaving www.kotak.com and entering website operated by other parties. Kotak Mahindra Bank does not control or endorse such websites, and bears no responsibility for them.
At your request, you are being re-directed to a third party site - http://www.billdesk.com/pgmerc/kotakcard/ wherein you can make your payment from a different bank account. Kotak Cards does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, materials, services or the reliability of any service, advice, opinion statement or other information displayed or distributed on the third party site. You shall access this site solely for purposes of payment of your bills and you understand and acknowledge that availing of any services offered on the site or any reliance on any opinion, advice, statement, memorandum, or information available on the site shall be at your sole risk. Kotak Cards and its affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, officers, directors and agents, expressly disclaim any liability for any deficiency in the services offered by BilIDesk whose site you are about to access. Neither Kotak Cards nor any of its affiliates nor their directors, officers and employees will be liable to or have any responsibility of any kind for any loss that you incur in the event of any deficiency in the services of BiIIDesk to whom the site belongs, failure or disruption of the site of BilIDesk, or resulting from the act or omission of any other party involved in making this site or the data contained therein available to you, or from any other cause relating to your access to, inability to access, or use of the site or these materials.
Note: Available in select banks only. Kotak Cards reserves the right to add/delete banks without prior notice. © Kotak Mahindra Bank. All rights reserved