NPS Retirement: Maximizing Benefits & Secure Your Future Today
  • Personal
  • Business
  • Corporate
  • Private Banking
  • Privy League
  • NRI Services
  • Investors
  • Personal
  • Business
  • Corporate
  • Private Banking
  • Privy League
  • NRI Services
  • Investors

Considering the uncertainties of life, retirement planning is extremely important to secure your financial future. Proper planning supports early retirement, increases life expectancy, covers medical expenses in old age, helps maintain lifestyle, allows achieving retirement goals, and gives financial independence. NPS retirement benefits let subscribers contribute a certain percentage of their earnings towards their retirement corpus. Post-retirement, they can build wealth and earn a monthly pension to lead a comfortable lifestyle.

In the following sections, we will discuss NPS in terms of its retirement benefits.

What Does NPS Retirement Mean?

NPS retirement or National Pension System is a voluntary, long-term, social security investment plan for retirement regulated by the Central Government and the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA). Open to employees in the public, private, or unorganised sectors except the armed forces, the scheme persuades people to invest money in an instrument that can provide them with a pension after their retirement. Apart from a monthly pension, the NPS retirement plan also provides a lump sum at retirement and several benefits to the subscriber's family.

Retirement Benefits Overview

  • Lump Sum Withdrawal

One of the most important NPS benefits after retirement includes the lump sum withdrawal at maturity. An NPS account matures when the subscriber turns 60. That means they can only withdraw a lump sum from their NPS account at retirement. According to the NPS rules, an individual can withdraw 60% of the total corpus at maturity (Tax-Free) and invest the remaining 40% in annuity. However, if the account holder needs funds before maturity, NPS also allows pre-mature withdrawal but with certain conditions and limits.

Pre-mature withdrawal is allowed only for specific purposes, such as educating children, covering a medical emergency, or building a house. An account holder can withdraw up to 25% of their contribution in a Tier I account, but only after three years of opening the account. Moreover, only three partial withdrawals are allowed before retirement,

Annuity Purchase

At maturity, when an individual invests 40% of their corpus in the annuity, fund managers invest it in Equity, Government Bonds, Corporate debt, and Alternative securities. It provides a regular income as a monthly pension at a fixed rate. Consequently, it becomes a steady income source post-retirement. There are various types of annuity options to choose from:

  • Monthly pension for life at a fixed rate
  • Annuity for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years and after that as long as the subscriber is alive
  • Annuity for life with return of purchase price on the annuitant’s death
  • Annuity for life increasing at a simple rate per annum
  • Annuity for life with 50% annuity payable to the spouse for life during the annuitant’s death
  • Annuity for life with 100% payable to spouse for life during the annuitant’s death
  • Annuity for life with 100% payable to spouse for life on the annuitant’s death, and purchase price returned on the last survivor’s death

Retirement Age Considerations

Individuals above 18 can start investing in the scheme to avail of the NPS benefits on retirement. Since the subscribers will contribute a part of their monthly income for life, they will accumulate a significant corpus at retirement. That means the earlier they start investing, the more they can invest and the bigger wealth they can build.

Here are a few strategies for choosing the right retirement age:

  • Following the legal age limit, which is 60 for government employees and for private employees as per the company policy.
  • Considering health status to plan for retirement. Those with chronic diseases may decide to retire early and take a rest
  • Building enough net worth after repaying all loans, bills, and other financial obligations
  • Achieving career goals and climbing the corporate ladder to gain control over the work-life balance
  • Considering early retirement after achieving family goals, like getting children married, settled, and achieving financial independence

Planning for Retirement with NPS

NPS is an excellent scheme offering multi-faceted benefits. Follow these retirement planning strategies to achieve goals with NPS:

  • Setting Retirement Goals: The first step in setting retirement goals is to set a retirement date. Thereafter, one must decide what to do after retirement, find the expenses that will continue after retirement, estimate their cost, build an emergency fund, and tally the amount after adding inflation.
  • Assessing Financial Needs: To plan for a stable and secure future, one must understand one's financial situation, set goals, and create a plan to improve financial health and make informed decisions.
  • Tailoring Contributions to Goals: Identifying various investment avenues to build a corpus by retirement and achieve financial goals is crucial.
  • Investment Strategies: One must assess one's financial objectives and risk appetite when choosing one's investment strategy.
  • Choosing the Right Asset Allocation: Allocating funds to the right assets, like equity, mutual funds, bonds, etc., helps build a corpus and secure life after retirement.
  • Adjusting Strategies Over Time: Monitoring the performance of investments and adjusting the asset allocation accordingly will enhance returns, reduce the risk of loss, and secure the future.

NPS Retirement Accounts

There are two types of NPS retirement accounts:

Tier-I Account: This is the mandatory account by default for achieving NPS retirement benefits. It keeps the contributor's funds locked until retirement, except under specific conditions. Partial withdrawals are allowed if the account holder needs money to educate children, cover a medical illness, pay for wedding costs, or purchase a house. It provides tax benefits under Section 80CCD (1), Section 80CCD (1B), and Section 80CCD (2).

Tier II NPS Account: This is an optional NPS account with no minimum balance requirement and a minimum contribution of Rs 250 per instalment. However, it does not provide tax benefits; the returns earned are taxable. It allows partial withdrawal without any restrictions and has no lock-in period. High flexibility and liquidity are the primary NPS benefits after retirement, making it a valuable financial resource for emergencies.


Lump sum corpus, monthly pension, tax benefits, partial withdrawals, and financial security are the primary NPS retirement benefits. With monthly contributions towards the retirement fund, it encourages proactive retirement planning and ensures a secure financial future. Choose the right type of NPS account and open one at Kotak to avail of the maximum benefits. Visit for further information or to open an NPS account.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How much pension will I get from NPS after retirement?

Your pension from NPS after retirement depends on your monthly contribution, investment horizon, and interest rate.

2. What are the rules for NPS retirement?

To invest in an NPS retirement scheme, you must invest some monthly amount towards the scheme and build a corpus by retirement. When you retire, you can withdraw 60% of the accumulated corpus (Tax-Free) and invest 40% in an annuity that provides a monthly pension for life.

3. How much can I withdraw from NPS during retirement?

You can withdraw 60% of the accumulated corpus at retirement and invest the remaining 40% in annuity for a monthly/quarterly/yearly/half yearly pension.

4. Is NPS better than a pension?

While pension only pays the maturity amount at retirement, NPS also invests 40% in the annuity to earn higher returns and also gives tax benefits. So, NPS is better than a pension for many reasons.

Latest Comments

Leave a Comment

200 Characters

Read Next

NPS Tier 1 Vs Tier 2: Differences and Tax Benefits


National Pension Scheme (NPS): Meaning, Scheme Details and Formula


How to Download NPS Transaction Statement

Load More

Disclaimer: This Article is for information purposes only. The views expressed in this Article do not necessarily constitute the views of Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. (“Bank”) or its employees. The Bank makes no warranty of any kind with respect to the completeness or accuracy of the material and articles contained in this Article. The information contained in this Article is sourced from empaneled external experts for the benefit of the customers and it does not constitute legal advice from the Bank. The Bank, its directors, employees and the contributors shall not be responsible or liable for any damage or loss resulting from or arising due to reliance on or use of any information contained herein. Tax laws are subject to amendment from time to time. The above information is for general understanding and reference. This is not legal advice or tax advice, and users are advised to consult their tax advisors before making any decision or taking any action.