DigiLocker is a key initiative by Government of India under Digital India, targeted at the idea of paperless governance. DigiLocker is a platform for issuance, verification and storage of documents & certificates digitally, thus eliminating the use of physical documents.
Organizations registered with DigiLocker can push electronic copies of documents and certificates (e.g. Driving license, Voter ID, School Certificates) directly into citizens' lockers. Citizens can also upload scanned copies of their legacy documents in their accounts. These legacy documents can also be electronically signed using the eSign facility.
- Anytime anywhere access to personal documents
- Aadhaar linked documents will get automatically fetched from institutions partnered with DigiLocker
- Pull documents from DigiLocker partner institutions like Registrar Office, Income Tax department, CBSE, etc.
- Self attest documents electronically via e-Sign option to avoid hassles of physically signing documents. Such documents are legally shareable for verification purposes. *
- Upload your own documents and easily access them with Kotak Net Banking
- Completely secure: This service is completely secure as the system is backed by the Government of India
*Please check with the institution first on the acceptance of e-signed documents.
These features will be available to individual customers who operate their accounts individually and have updated their Aadhaar number with the bank.
What are the key components of DigiLocker?
Each resident's DigiLocker account has the following sections:
- Dashboard - This section is the first page you see when you login and shows a summary of all your documents.
- Issued Documents - This section shows the URIs (links) of the documents or certificates issued to you by the Govt. department or other agencies participating in DigiLocker.
- Uploaded Documents - This section shows all the documents which are uploaded by you. You can update the document type, eSign and share these uploaded documents.
- Shared Documents - This sections shows the list of documents which you share with others (via email).
- Activity - This section is a log of the activities you performed in you DigiLocker account. The log included the details about the activities such as file upload, download, eSign etc.
- Issuers - This section lists the departments and agencies that are registered on DigiLocker as Issuers. If these departments have issued any document/certificate to you, it will appear in the form of a URI (link) in your Issued Documents section.
What are the benefits of DigiLocker?
DigiLocker is aimed at the concept of paperless governance. It offers the following benefits:
- Citizens can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time saving.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- Digital Locker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
- Self uploaded documents can be eSigned which is similar to the process of self-attestation.
Does Kotak Mahindra Bank have access to my documents:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank does not have access to customer's documents. We are only providing customers a single sign-on access to their DigiLocker account.
- The documents are stored with DigiLocker only which is secured by the Govt of India
Is DigiLocker a chargeable service?
No. DigiLocker is completely free of cost.
What security features are implemented in DigiLocker? Is it safe to put my data in it?
- DigiLocker platform is managed by the Government of India. All precautionary measure been taken to ensure your data is protected and uncompromised. Please find the list of security measures that have been implemented till now. This list will expand as more safety features get added.
- Standard Practices: DigiLocker follows standard software development practices of uniform coding standards, guidelines and reviews. Every release is reviewed and tested internally for security and penetration vulnerabilities before getting deployed on our servers.
- 256 Bit SSL Encryption: DigiLocker uses 256 bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption for information transmitted during any activity. Mobile Authentication based Sign Up: DigiLocker uses mobile authentication based signup via OTP (one time password) for authenticating users and allowing access to the platform.
- Aadhaar Authentication based Issued Document Access: To receive issued documents from registered issuers, citizens need to authenticate themselves using Aadhaar's Biometric or Mobile OTP authentication service.
- ISO 27001 certified Data Centre: The application is hosted in an ISO 27001 security certified data center.
- Data Redundancy: Data is backed up in secure environment with proper redundancy.
- Timed Log Out: To protect citizen's account from unauthorized access, our system is designed to terminate session automatically if extended inactivity is detected.
- Security Audit: The DigiLocker application has been security audited by a recognized audit agency and the application security audit certificate has been obtained.
- User Consent Based System: The data from DigiLocker is shared only with the citizen's explicit consent. All sharing and access activities are logged and conveyed to the citizen. Organizations that need access to citizens' certificates need to register on DigiLocker and seek explicit consent from the citizen.
Sign Up / Sign In
How can I sign up for DigiLocker?
- Login to Kotak Net Banking
- Go to Profile/Update Details Section
- Click on DigiLocker
- Click on Access Digi Locker - In case you have not given your Aadhaar number to the bank, you will need to add the same by going to Profile -> Add Aadhaar. You can then repeat the above step to access your DigiLocker account
- You will receive an OTP on your mobile number linked to Aadhaar which you need to enter.
- If you already have a DigiLocker account, you can enter your user name and password. The customer will not be asked these details next time.
- You are now signed up for DigiLocker via Kotak Net Banking. Next time, the customer will get access to DigiLocker by simply clicking on the Access DigiLocker button.
Will adding Aadhaar details here affect my Aadhaar linkage to other accounts?
No. Customers just need to add Aadhaar details to their profile information. This will not impact your Aadhaar linked to any other account or any other Bank and services related to the same.
What is OTP?
OTP is a random one-time password generated by the UIDAI system and sent to your registered mobile number and email-id. The OTP is valid for 30 mins only. If you enter the OTP after 30 mins, it will be rendered invalid and you will have to enter a fresh one.
My mobile is updated in my Aadhaar number, but I cannot use it to link my DigiLocker account with Aadhaar. It gives an error message - 'Mobile number is not linked with Aadhaar'.
For linking your DigiLocker account with Aadhaar, your mobile must be linked with your Aadhaar number. Please make sure this is actually the case.
To verify this, visit https://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/ and download your eAadhaar. You will be able to check the linked mobile number (last four digits) during this process.
I want to use mobile OTP to link my Aadhaar with DigiLocker, but my mobile is not updated in my Aadhaar. How can I get this done?
For linking your mobile number with Aadhaar, you will have to visit your nearest Aadhaar enrolment center.
Please visit https://uidai.gov.in/update-your-aadhaar-data.html for the list of enrolment centers.
I am waiting for the OTP, but I haven't received it for more than 5 minutes. What should I do?
The OTP will come on the mobile number linked with your AADHAAR. While using DigiLocker, the OTP is sent instantaneously. Sometimes there may be temporary problems either on our servers (while generating/sending OTP) or in delivery of the SMS by your mobile service provider. We suggest you wait for few more minutes and try again.
After entering the Aadhaar number, I am getting an error message "UID service temporarily unavailable".
This may sometimes happen due to technical issues on our servers or with the UIDAI service. Most likely it's a temporary problem. Please try again after sometime.
How can I change the information displayed (like email, mobile etc) in my Aadhaar profile on DigiLocker?
The information displayed in your Aadhaar profile in your DigiLocker account (like name, address, email, mobile etc) is for display purposes. This data is only fetched from UIDAI and it is not possible to make any changes to this data from DigiLocker. To make changes to your Aadhaar data, please visit your nearest Aadhaar enrolment center.
To find more about enrolment centers, visit https://uidai.gov.in/update-your-aadhaar-data.html
What are issued documents and what are uploaded documents?
Issued documents are e-documents issued by various government agencies in electronic format directly from the original data source and the URI (link) of these documents is available in the issued documents section of DigiLocker. Whereas uploaded documents are those e-documents uploaded directly by the DigiLocker user.
How will issued documents show up in DigiLocker?
There are two ways issued documents show up in DigiLocker -
- Push (via Aadhaar) - This method works when the issuer database is seeded with the Aadhaar number of citizens. Once a registered issuer issues an e-document for a particular Aadhaar number (and the respective DigiLocker account already exists for that Aadhaar number), the URI for that document will be get pushed automatically into DigiLocker.
- Pull (via search parameters) - This method is used when the issuer database does not contain the seeded Aadhaar number. For certain issuers which have a partnership with DigiLocker, citizens can log into DigiLocker and pull their record from the issuer database using some common search parameters. Once the record is fetched, a permanent link (URI) to it can be saved in the issued document section.
In both cases, the URI (link) is available in issued documents section and this link directly fetches the document in real-time from the original data source.
Why don't I see issued documents (such as my driving license, passport etc) in my DigiLocker account? Can I instead upload scanned copies of these documents myself? Will these uploaded documents get verified by issuers?
Issued Documents get pushed automatically (or pulled manually) into DigiLocker only if both of the following conditions are met (A) that issuer dept is integrated into DigiLocker as a registered issuer, and (B) the issuer has your digital document in its database. If either of these two conditions is not met, you will not see documents in your Issued Documents section. (N.B. DigiLocker is working with various government departments and agencies to digitize their records and integrate with it. This will happen progressively as time progresses. Our aim is to make available as many documents/certificates as possible).
On the other hand, you can anytime upload scanned versions of these documents (into the Uploaded Documents section) and eSign it. eSigning any document is similar to the process of self attestation. These uploaded or eSigned documents will not be verified by any Authority. They can be used in whichever way you want (and at your own risk/responsibility).
How can I upload documents to my DigiLocker account?
Click the upload icon to start uploading a document. In the file upload dialog box, locate the file from your local drive and select 'open' to complete the uploading.
To assign a document type to your uploaded file, click 'select doc type'. This will show a pop up with a drop down selection of various document types. Choose the appropriate document type and click 'save'.
You can also edit the name of the file using the edit icon next to the filename.
What is the maximum allowed file size that can be uploaded?
Maximum allowed file size is 10MB.
What type of files can be uploaded?
File types that can be uploaded - pdf, jpeg & png.
What is the meaning of URI?
A URI is a Uniform Resource Identifier generated by the issuer department, which is mandatory for every e-document of the DigiLocker system. This unique URI can be resolved to a full URL (Uniform Resource Locator) to access the actual document in its appropriate repository.
What is eSign?
eSign service is an easy, efficient and secure way of digitally signing electronic documents. With this service, any Aadhaar holder can digitally sign an electronic document without having to obtain a physical digital signature dongle.
The signer is authenticated using Aadhaar eKYC services. You can use eSign service to digitally sign the self-uploaded documents in DigiLocker as a method of self attestation.
For more information on eSign, please visit the Controller of Certifying Authorities website at http://www.cca.gov.in/cca/?q=eSign.html
What type of documents can be eSigned in DigiLocker?
You can sign any document uploaded in your 'Uploaded Documents' section using eSign. DigiLocker currently allows pdf, jpeg and png files to be uploaded to your account. All eSigned files are available in the pdf format after signing.
Why does my digital signature appear as 'Signature Not Verified' in Adobe Acrobat Reader after eSigning a document?
This may happen if the trusted root certificate list in your Adobe Acrobat Reader is not up to date. For this, please install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader by downloading it from - https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/. Now open Adobe Acrobat Reader. Open Preferences dialog box by clicking 'Preferences' menu item in 'Edit' menu. Select 'Trust Manager' from 'Categories' list displayed on the left hand side. You will see 'Automatic Adobe Approved Trusted Certificates Updates' section on the right hand side in the Preferences box. Check 'Load trusted root certificates from an Adobe server' check box and click 'Update Now' button. This will update your trusted root certificate list. Now, restart Adobe Acrobat Reader and open your digitally signed document. Your digital signature should now appear as valid.
I clicked the eSign icon, but I still haven't received the OTP after 5 mins. What should I do?
The OTP will be received on the mobile number linked with your AADHAAR. The OTP service is operated by UIDAI. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the SMS to be received (depending on the load on UIDAI servers and your mobile operator's network traffic).
Please wait for the OTP to be received. It is valid for 30 mins.
While eSigning a document, I'm getting an error "This document is digitally signed previously. It cannot be eSigned again in DigiLocker".
Digitally signed documents cannot be eSigned again in DigiLocker. This mean if you upload a DigiLocker issued (digitally signed) document, or any other external document which is already digitally signed, this cannot be eSigned.
I have already signed up for DigiLocker and linked my Aadhaar. How can I get my eAadhaar in DigiLocker?
Here are the steps to get eAadhaar in DigiLocker if you already have Aadhaar linked DigiLocker account:
- Access the DigiLocker with your Net Banking credentials.
- Upon login to DigiLocker, you will see a dialog box with a message to get your eAadhaar.
- Click on "Click here" link. OTP box will appear in the dialog.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number linked to Aadhaar. Enter this OTP in the OTP box and click "Verify OTP" button.
- On successful validation of the OTP you will be redirected to "Issued Document" page where URI for eAadhaar will be listed.
- Click on "Save" icon next to Aadhaar Card on "Issued Document" page. Your eAadhaar will be saved to "Uploaded Document" section.
Register with DigiLocker:
- Login to Kotak Net Banking
- Click on Profile/Update Contact Details
- Click on DigiLocker -> Access Your DigiLocker* (if your Aadhaar number is not added to Profile details, please add the same under Profile -> Add Aadhaar )
- Enter OTP sent on your Registered Mobile Number
(OTP will be sent on number registered with Aadhaar)
To pull documents from DigiLocker partner institutions:
- Login in to Kotak Net Banking -> Profile -> DigiLocker
- Go to -> Pull Partner Documents
- Select Partner Name and Document Type
- Enter required details
- Login in to Kotak Net Banking -> Profile -> DigiLocker
- Go to -> Upload Documents
- Click on Upload and select file to upload
How to e-Sign? (electronic self-attestation of documents)
- Go to -> Uploaded Documents
- Click on e-Sign and enter OTP send to your Mobile Number registered with Aadhaar Card